Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Genocide You Never Hear About...



“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me.”

Let My People Think

The Lord grabbed my heart today as I was listening to a podcast by Ravi Zacharias, a Christian apologist. You can find it here. More information on Ravi and his ministry is here. I will tell you I think very highly of this brother and have learned a great deal from him.

In it, Ravi mentioned two things. First, he discussed a book, World Christian Trends AD 30 – AD 2200 by David Barrett and Todd Johnson of the Center for Study of Global Christianity. Written in 2001, this book outlined trends in martyrdom, including the fact that 70 million Christians have been killed for their faith since AD 30—45 million in the 20th Century. They projected that 100,000 would be killed per year by 2012, but the actual total is 130,000-160,000. That works out to one of our brothers and sisters being killed every five minutes!

Second, Ravi mentioned a Newsweek article from last February. It is titled “The Global War on Christians in the Muslim World,” and it discusses the extreme persecution of Christians in majority-Muslim countries around the world. Interestingly enough, the author is an atheist from Somalia, Ayaan Hirsi Ali. For such an article to be written by an atheist, especially in a not-so-conservative magazine gives you an idea of the situation facing many believers around the world.

The Church Under Persecution

Jesus said persecution would be a fact of life for His followers. That doesn’t mean it’s what He wants; it’s simply a reality since the church is in direct opposition the world. The more I see Jesus Christ as He is, the more my heart breaks for my brothers and sisters facing persecution. We’re part of the same body! We are one with them! As Paul said, if one part of the body suffers, we all suffer (whether we know it or not).

Please take a moment to listen to the podcast (the portion I mentioned starts around 5:24 and is less than five minutes long) and read the article. And please pray for the church around the world. If you’re interested in something you can do to help, here are a couple of organizations we support that are already at work among the persecuted church:

For my brothers and sisters in Christ around the world,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment